Thursday, May 30, 2013

Matt Stokes: 'Give to me the Life I Love' Laing Art Gallery, Newcastle, UK

Image: Matt Stokes, Give to me the Life I Love, 2012 Two-channel HD film and audio transferred to synced hard-drives, Duration 10:17 Minutes (MS0057) Courtesy of the artist and Workplace Gallery

 

MATT STOKES: Give to me the Life I Love

1 June - 15 Sep 2013

 

Laing Art Gallery
New Bridge Street
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 8AG

 

A film installation by artist Matt Stokes, which tells a story of Bangladeshi identity from the perspective of teenagers living in the UK at different moments in time. 

 

Give to me the Life I Love draws on accounts of the struggles faced by Bangladeshis arriving in the UK during the 1970s, considered alongside experiences of today's younger generation. This reveals itself in the film through generational differences, focusing on how identity is interpreted and adapted by a young community surrounded by wider cultural influences. The film references Bengali literature, traditional storytelling, music and television as a means of accessing Bangladeshi identity and heritage.

 

Matt Stokes immerses himself in situations to look at the events that shape people's lives and values. His projects develop into films, installations and events that utilize the collective knowledge and skills within communities. 

 

Give to me the Life I Love is a co-commission between Whitechapel Gallery, London and Laing Art Gallery, Newcastle.

 

Part of Festival of the North East.

 

 

Courtesy of the artist, Workplace Gallery, Whitechapel Gallery and Laing Art Gallery